RSS

I’m a lucky dog

24 Feb

I get to leave the shelter.  The lady who I will soon call my mom, puts me in a little crate and takes me to a place where they put a collar on me. I want to run around and play with the dogs and cat.

My new home has a german shepherd mix named Peg and a collie mix named Sandy. They are pretty old and they are not sure what to think about me. I’m not messing with Peg, she won’t tolerate it. I like playing with Sandy, even though she just wants to relax.

There’s a huge yard for me to run around and lots of sticks.  There were fireworks and a lot of people rubbing my stomach and cuddling with me.  I’m a lucky dog.

Mom’s note:  Radcliff was 3 months old and a 15 pound energetic ball of fur. A friend who had a 20 pound cat, let me borrow a crate to pick him up. He didn’t like the crate.

The first thing I did was take him to the store to get a collar and sign him up for obedience classes. I didn’t know if I could get him back in the crate. I’m pretty sure that the person at the store thought I was crazy.  I was concerned about training him because of the shelter staff comments about how long it would take to train him because he was deaf. Puppies are cute, but they are also a lot of work.

Peg was 14 years old and Sandy was 13 years old.  I think they were in shock.  This hyper little dog was creating a ruckus.  It was the weekend of July 4th that I brought him home.  We had a party so our friends could meet the newest addition to our family.  They loved him and couldn’t believe that he was deaf.

The holiday that scares most dogs, did not bother Radcliff. He was loving all the attention.  I have read that one out of two dogs are euthanized at the shelter.  He was a lucky dog.

Advertisements

8 Comments

Posted by on February 24, 2012 in Deaf dogs, Uncategorized

Tags:

8 responses to “I’m a lucky dog

1. Christina Lee

March 5, 2012 at 10:06 am

Radcliff for some reason the photo isn’t showing up in this post. Ask your mom to take a look and maybe press “remove”…make sure she pushes the “update” button after she removes the photo…then have her “insert the photo” again in to the post…make sure to press “save” …then “update again” and see if the photo will come up.

• radcliffdeafdog

March 10, 2012 at 10:25 pm

Christina, thanks for the tip. We’ll work on the photo!

• Vishal

February 3, 2013 at 7:39 pm

That is hilarious. If I can’t find a use for it I’ll be damn if ayobndy is going to show me up by demonstrating a possible use for it.Thanks for a good laugh because things were getting a bit morbid at the moment.Deb’s last blog post..

• Lizabeth

November 9, 2012 at 4:33 pm

That’s a posting full of iingsht!

• Badar

February 3, 2013 at 12:14 pm

Yes, a car alarm can keep the car from running. Some car alrmas if installed improperly will force the vehicle to a dead zone which means it is preventing the theft of your vehicle by not allowing power from the starter to be transferred to the engine. I work for valet and sometime it helps if you lock your vehicle and open it from the passenger door and start it first then manualing unlocking the driver door from the inside.

2. roughseasinthemed

April 3, 2012 at 5:42 am

Photo is fine now. Strange name for a society that kills half the dogs that arrive there 😦

• radcliffdeafdog

April 3, 2012 at 8:33 pm

The Humane Society has a partnership with the City to take in all animals. It has a limited amount of space so it euthanizes to accommodate the animals. It recently ran a capital campaign to raise money for a new facility. Not an easy task in this economy. Amazingly, they met the goal needed for the new facility and just broke ground.

I follow a lot of rescue groups on facebook. It’s so very sad, but many shelters have kill rates higher than 1 out of 2. People need to adopt/foster/spay/neuter.

• Jalen

November 9, 2012 at 6:04 pm

Great thinking! That really brkeas the mold!

Leave a bark out, woof or paws up.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Hope

Nebraska

Lincoln Animal Ambassadors

Pet Talk: The Blog

Lincolnpets's Blog

Just another WordPress.com site

For The Love of My Dogs

All things dog. All the time.

YesBiscuit!

Shelter (noun): Something that affords protection; a refuge, a haven.

Joining Forces... Saving Lives

Collaborating to save lives of companion animals and promote animal welfare!

TheFutureofFinancialServices.com

A site about the future of financial services and money.

My GBGV Life

Going through life as a French scent hound.

Bonnie Blue Rescue

Putting families together one pup at a time ....

midwestanimalresq

Just another WordPress.com site

roughseasinthemed

Living in Gib and Spain

Raining Cats & Dogs

News and views of Chicago's animal rescue community and supporting businesses

notes from a dog walker

stories from the sidewalk

Rumpydog

Dog paddling through life...

Nikitaland

A Day in the Life of a Dog Named Nikita

Easy-Going Organizer

organizing one week at a time

%d bloggers like this: