RSS

My Favorite Activity Ball

06 Jun
My Favorite Activity Ball

When Ina and I stay busy, we are less likely to get into trouble. Not that I cause trouble, but when it’s quiet, mom worries about Ina.

Mom started giving treat-filled kongs to Peg and Sandy when they were young. Peg thought anything on the floor was her toy and Sandy had some separation anxiety. The kongs kept them busy.

Each dog would get a kong in their crate. Mom would fill extra kongs and hide them around the room for Peg and Sandy to find later.  That has been the routine for me too. Ina and I run to our crates when we see mom getting ready to go somewhere. We know that’s where we get kongs!

Our favorite dog toys are KONGs.  Kong offers various shapes with various toughness ratings. Mom’s favorite Kong is the activity ball. It’s larger so it holds more treats and is easier to fill. But it’s not Josh the foster dog tough. He has destroyed several of the activity balls. He gets the black cone-shaped Kongs. We also like Kongs because they are made in the USA.

What to put in the kongs

Buy dog biscuits (I call them cookies) that are easy to push in, but hard to get out. You can then smear peanut butter in the hole to plug it and fill with apple sauce or unsalted chicken stock and freeze. Frozen Kongs take longer to un-stuff because we have to really work on them. Check out Kong’s website or facebook page where they share recipes with fans.

Make sure that you buy treats MADE IN USA!

Treats made in China have made dogs sick.  Illness may be linked to chicken jerky made in China: Waggin’ Train or Canyon Creek Ranch jerky treats/tenders, produced by Nestle Purina PetCare Co., Milo’s Kitchen Home-style Dog Treats, produced by the Del Monte Corp. Read the MSNBC article: 3 big brands may be tied to chicken jerky illness in dogs, FDA records show

Ina will run to her crate when she THINKS mom is leaving. Mom doesn’t always leave, I think she’s HOPING mom leaves so she gets a kong and gets to look for them!

Watch Ina with her Kong activity ball in this video http://youtu.be/5UwR8IddWfo

Advertisements

7 Comments

Posted by on June 6, 2012 in Training

Tags: , , ,

7 responses to “My Favorite Activity Ball

1. Emma

July 29, 2012 at 9:03 pm

Very important info about treats made in China! So many companies make their stuff look American but itis made in China and very dangeous! Great post! Emma 🙂

2. radcliffdeafdog

August 1, 2012 at 7:06 pm

Mom always looks to make sure the treats are made in USA. There are a lot of chicken jerky treats that are made in China, and they seem to be sold everywhere by national store chains.

3. Flea

August 7, 2012 at 9:56 am

Hey! We have treats made in the USA! And they’re all natural! You should totally look into getting some. 🙂 Jones Natural Chews are NOMMY.

• radcliffdeafdog

September 20, 2013 at 2:19 pm

Mom has bought Jones Natural Chews for us. We agree, they are nommy!

4. Helen Devries

October 11, 2012 at 4:26 pm

I’ve just come to your blog from ‘rough seas in the med’ and have been catching up.
    Years ago I was given a wheaten coated setter, one year old. His owners could not cope with him. I think, but am not sure, that the deafness was something linked to the coat colour.
    In effect, my other dogs trained him as much as I did, and I had thirteen happy years with William.
    I am so glad you took Radcliff.

• radcliffdeafdog

October 13, 2012 at 6:15 pm

Yes, many dogs that are all white will be deaf. Here’s an explanation from the Deaf Dog Education Action Fund http://www.deafdogs.org/faq/#causes

For Australian Shepherds, merle-to-merle breeding can cause the deaf or blind dogs. Here is a brochure from Amazing Aussies that explains the gene and why some people refer to the dogs as lethal whites http://www.amazingaussies.com/What%20are%20Lethal%20Whites.pdf

• Samy

February 6, 2013 at 2:54 am

I did that with my cat when she was 5. So why not 4? You get them treats that they like.I use Whisker Lickns’. Then let them smell it, hold it up over thier hed and say your cat’s name up only if they stand up say that.Eventually they’ll get used to you saynig it and wen you say it they’ll stand up. But don’t tease them. really give them a treat if they do what you ask.

Leave a bark out, woof or paws up.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Hope

Nebraska

Lincoln Animal Ambassadors

Pet Talk: The Blog

Lincolnpets's Blog

Just another WordPress.com site

For The Love of My Dogs

All things dog. All the time.

YesBiscuit!

Shelter (noun): Something that affords protection; a refuge, a haven.

Joining Forces... Saving Lives

Collaborating to save lives of companion animals and promote animal welfare!

TheFutureofFinancialServices.com

A site about the future of financial services and money.

My GBGV Life

Going through life as a French scent hound.

Bonnie Blue Rescue

Putting families together one pup at a time ....

midwestanimalresq

Just another WordPress.com site

roughseasinthemed

Living in Gib and Spain

Raining Cats & Dogs

News and views of Chicago's animal rescue community and supporting businesses

notes from a dog walker

stories from the sidewalk

Rumpydog

Dog paddling through life...

Nikitaland

A Day in the Life of a Dog Named Nikita

Easy-Going Organizer

organizing one week at a time

%d bloggers like this: