RSS

Resources for Training A Deaf and Blind Dog

15 Oct

Patience and repetition are important for training dogs that can see and hear. Both are even more important for dogs who can’t see or hear. Don’t forget to reward with good dog touch signs and treats!

Here are a few helpful resources for training a deaf and blind dog:

Blind and Deaf Dogs Guidebook – A website with tips http://pawstoadopt.com/blindanddeafdogs/index.html

Training a deaf and blind Australian Shepherd – A few tips on video http://youtu.be/HhMXPbthzOE

16 Tips for Working with your Blind and Deaf Dog – A great article http://www.doggamesathome.com/learn-16-valuable-tips-from-your-dogs-teacher-lori-friesen-on-how-to-help-your-blind-and-deaf-dog-to-lead-a-full-happy-and-safe-life/

Touch signs for blind and deaf dogs – A short list http://www.amazingaussies.com/education/touch.htm

Training Dogs Training Dogs Who Are Blind and Deaf – An article http://companionanimalsolutions.com/blogs/training-dogs-who-are-blind-and-deaf/

If you have questions, you might ask my furiends on their facebook pages:

Deaf Dogs Rock – Christina Lee adopted Nitro, a deaf white boxer, from a shelter in Salem Virginia. The website and facebook page help deaf dogs looking for homes, provide training info and share happy tails. http://deafdogsrock.com

Parker’s Fan Club – Parker is a deaf and blind collie who donates contest winnings to the rescue that saved him. Parker lives with doggie siblings: Dakota, deaf/blind collie/Aussie mix; Rain, a deaf miniature Australian shepherd; and Moccaccino, a shepherd chow mix. They live in New York. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Parkers-Fan-Club/354321824588679?ref=ts

Saving Theresina – Theresina is a deaf and blind collie who has had some behavior issues. Her family is working with her to help her adjust to living with others. https://www.facebook.com/SavingTheresina?ref=ts&fref=ts

White Dog Blog – Read about the training and adventures of three amazing dogs: Treasure, deaf and blind; Grace, deaf and visually impaired; Jasmine, deaf and visually impaired. http://your-inner-dog.blogspot.com

Treasure also has videos on YouTube. Here she shows that being deaf and blind does not stop you from doing amazing tricks. http://youtu.be/gPAz_44uSzk

Advertisements

13 Comments

Posted by on October 15, 2012 in Deaf dogs, Training

Tags: , ,

13 responses to “Resources for Training A Deaf and Blind Dog

1. Kimberly Mockler

October 26, 2012 at 4:38 pm

Other good resources for more deaf/blind dog training information is White Dog Blog by Deb Bauer about her double dilute shelters.

• Kimberly Mockler

October 26, 2012 at 4:39 pm

I meant, shelties! 🙂

• Elouise

November 9, 2012 at 6:22 am

I am totally wowed and ppreared to take the next step now.

• radcliffdeafdog

October 27, 2012 at 7:33 am

Kimberly, thanks for that suggestion. I will check it out!

• Jessa

November 11, 2012 at 1:43 am

We had 3 adult cats in our home when we got a German Shepherd puppy. At first the cats weren’t crazy about the new addition but otmvriee, they got along and would even lay together. Our German Shepherd never tried to hurt any of our cats and sometimes seemed to think he was a cat. I’d say you have nothing to worry about. The only thing we ever had to watch was how they played together. Sometimes big dogs don’t realize their size. Good luck on your new dog. I hope they’ll be as great as ours is.References :

• Kyanna

November 9, 2012 at 10:02 pm

Super exicetd to see more of this kind of stuff online.

• radcliffdeafdog

November 17, 2012 at 6:23 pm

Please let me know if you have questions and I will ask my furiends!

2. Juliyana

November 9, 2012 at 1:09 am

PRSammi – This is such a great blog post a novel way to capture the way pets icunfelne our lives through different chapters. In my case it was the Tiny years and then the Snook years. Tiny was our trusty Alsatian who met us when the school bus dropped us off and Snook a purebred Husky with blue eyes was our camping buddy.Thanks!PR Sammi

3. Marlyn

November 10, 2012 at 11:22 pm

I have a german shep. mix and she is AMAZING . My two cats when they were kinttes they loved my dog but now unfortunately they always randomly attack her . Its all about the dogs temperament . My other dog is a chow mix and she was Rather small but she would always run around trying to stomp on the cats hurting them My german Shepperd mix is brindle and at 1st glance everyone thinks she is aggressive and would attack people and cats and as for my other dog they all think she is nice and would not harm a fly . It also depends on the cats gender Female cats tend to be more moody towards dogs .References : experiance

4. Ernest Lathen

January 16, 2013 at 10:09 am

Super info it is really. I have been waiting for this tips.

5. Martha

February 4, 2013 at 6:22 pm

I simply watend to thank you one more time for this amazing website you have produced here. It’s full of useful tips for those who are actually interested in this specific subject, in particular this very post. Your all so sweet as well as thoughtful of others plus reading your site posts is a superb delight with me. And thats a generous reward! Ben and I are going to have fun making use of your ideas in what we should do in a few weeks. Our list is a mile long and simply put tips is going to be put to very good use.

6. blanca

April 25, 2013 at 9:10 am

Hi just wanted to share this video of me beginning to train my 3 month old deaf english bull terrier puppy uchi.

Leave a bark out, woof or paws up.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Lincoln Animal Ambassadors

Pet Talk: The Blog

Lincolnpets's Blog

Just another WordPress.com site

For The Love of My Dogs

All things dog. All the time.

YesBiscuit!

Shelter (noun): Something that affords protection; a refuge, a haven.

Joining Forces... Saving Lives

Collaborating to save lives of companion animals and promote animal welfare!

TheFutureofFinancialServices.com

A site about the future of financial services and money.

My GBGV Life

Going through life as a French scent hound.

Bonnie Blue Rescue

Putting families together one pup at a time ....

midwestanimalresq

Just another WordPress.com site

roughseasinthemed

Living in Gib and Spain

Raining Cats & Dogs

News and views of Chicago's animal rescue community and supporting businesses

notes from a dog walker

stories from the sidewalk

Rumpydog

Dog paddling through life...

Nikitaland

A Day in the Life of a Dog Named Nikita

Easy-Going Organizer

organizing one week at a time

%d bloggers like this: